Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day Four

The results from the bronchoscopy are that she is just growing what she normally grows - Staph - and something they are still trying to figure out (also grew last Wednesday). So, they took her off the two IV antibiotics she was on and changed to another. She had a Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) today and her numbers were down from last Wednesday, and then back up (but not to what it was on Wednesday) after albuterol. She'll repeat her PFTs in 3-4 more days.

The doctor (fellow) said initially he suspected we were not compliant on her treatments based on initial review. I have to say that hurt - especially knowing how compliant we are. But he said after hearing her cough (more dry) and looking into things that it's something else and we just have to figure out what. One problem that we know we have to address is getting more of the bad stuff out, which she has a hard time doing.

We just got back from the roof where we had a pretty intense game of Horse (followed by an equally intense game of Cow) and played a little hockey. I have to run - she's requesting more crafts so I better go track some down!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Is she using the vest? What inhaled meds is she on? I always found that pulmozyme worked great for getting the gunk out; I am not sure if she is on it though.

Is she staying really well-hydrated? That can be hard in the summertime, it's still hard for me! I also found (and find since I still cough a little up at times) that the better hydrated you are, the easier it is to get the gunk out.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Melissa Epler said...

How dare that fellow question your compliance with her treatment?!?!
I guess unfortunately they see too many patients where that truly is the case.

A package should arrive from us tomorrow that hopefully will keep her occupied for a little bit!

Let us know if you need anything. (I don't think I can help with that Care Hub thing!)